Free Nutrition Education Resources for your Summer Program from Power Play!
Did you know that Power Play! can provide free materials, training, promotional help and ongoing support to help you offer nutrition education and physical activity in your summer program?
The Power Play! campaign, based at the Network for a Healthy California at the California Department of Public Health, works to improve children’s health and reduce their long-term risk of obesity and chronic diseases like cancer and heart disease.
The Power Up Your Summer Challenge sponsored by Power Play! can support your program with innovative, age-appropriate activities while helping children increase their physical activity levels during the summer.
No-cost services for summer meal program sites and other income-eligible sites include:
1) Your summer program can be advertised in a flyer to schools throughout the region and via other community channels.
2) Free resources are available to help you teach kids about active play and healthy eating, including:
- Community Youth Organization Idea & Resource Kits, that provide 20 nutrition and physical activity lessons, geared toward elementary-age students.
- Free training for your staff.
- Individual and Group PLAY Trackers to encourage setting physical activity goals.
- Booklet of fun games developed by Playworks (www.playworks.org), so you can host a PLAY! Week or a PLAY! Fest.
- Participation rewards for kids.
To find out more about Power Play!, you can:
1) Click here to register one of the Summer Meal Program Coalition’s Power Play! Webinars.
2) Contact the Power Play! regional coordinator for your area.
Your regional coordinator can provide the materials, training, promotional help and ongoing support you need to build nutrition education and physical activity into your summer program-and keep kids and their families active and energized. Contact your regional coordinator now and let them know you’re ready to Power Up!